Unhappy About Feeling Happy
In a recent article in Scientific American Mind researchers explain that for some people, happiness can create feelings of deep discomfort. Here are some of the reasons why people might feel unhappy about feeling happy:
- Feeling unworthy
- Believing that good fortune means something bad is bound to happen
- Guilt that they must not be striving hard enough
- Underlying depression
- Discomfort if they are not always worrying
Are you afraid of happiness? The article includes a simple quiz you can take to find out. The quiz has 9 questions rated on a scale of 0 - 4. Here are a few of the questions:
- I am frightened to let myself become too happy
- I don't let myself get to excited about positive things or achievements.
- My good feelings never last.
So while it's true that some people will never be happy and some people will fear their happiness, it's still an important part of Human Resources to create an environment where employee can feel self actualized, happy and engaged.